In the aftermath of losing a loved one due to the careless or negligent actions of somebody else, family members are often left wondering what to do next. At Colucci, Colucci & Marcus, P.C., our Boston wrongful death lawyers or dedicated to helping clients gain closure and secure the compensation they are entitled to in these situations. Here, we want to discuss what steps you can take to receive compensation for your loved one’s death.
Steps To Take After Boston Wrongful Death
There are various steps that family members can take if they know or suspect that the negligent actions of another person caused their loved one’s death.
- Speak to an attorney immediately: Involving an attorney early in this process will significantly increase your chances of obtaining maximum compensation for your case. An attorney will have the resources and legal experience necessary to conduct a thorough investigation into your case.
- Preserve any evidence you have: It is essential that you keep any evidence related to the incident that caused your loved one’s death. This can include any accident reports, video or photo surveillance from the incident, eyewitness contact information, and more. Your attorney will use this evidence, as well as other evidence they obtain through their investigation, to help prove your case.
- Keep track of expenses: Keep good records of any expenses you incur throughout this process. This can include any medical bills your loved one incurred before they passed, funeral and burial costs, lost wages, and more.
- Remember deadlines: Under Massachusetts law, all wrongful death claims must be made within three years after the death of a loved one. Any claims made after this three-year time limit will not be allowed to proceed.
Most Common Causes Of Wrongful Death In Boston
There are many ways that a person could lose their life due to the actions of another person, business, or entity. Some of the most common cases that the Boston wrongful death attorneys at Colucci, Colucci & Marcus, P.C. handle include:
- Car accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Nursing home negligence
- Defective product incidents
- Dangerous worksite accidents
- Premises liability incidents
- Pharmacy or medication errors
- Daycare injuries
- Mass transit accidents
Let Us Help You Through This Difficult Time
If you have lost a loved one due to the careless or negligent actions of another person, business, or entity, we know this is an incredibly difficult time for you. At Colucci, Colucci & Marcus, P.C., our compassionate and experienced team is ready to help you secure the compensation you need. This could include:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of companionship damages
- Loss of future income and benefits of the deceased
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Cost of pre-death medical care
- Punitive damages against those responsible for the death