Police exist for the purpose to serve and protect. When they fail to do so when they allow someone to be killed on their watch, they need to be held responsible and the victim’s family needs justice. At Colucci, Colucci & Marcus, P.C., our Boston wrongful death lawyers want to discuss a recent wrongful death in Boston. The police neglected to protect an elderly inmate in their care and a lawsuit was filed to bring those responsible to justice.
What Happened In This Boston Wrongful Death?
In November 2020, a lawsuit was filed by the former state Senate President Wiliam Bulger against the Federal Bureau of Prisons and 30 unnamed employees.
James “Whitey” Bulger, the brother, was killed during a prison transfer to Hazelton prison in West Virginia, the first day he arrived. Because James Bulger was labeled a “snitch”, this made him a high target for violence and retribution. The prison guards apparently were aware of this reputation and the threats made to Bulger.
Inmates with mafia ties killed Bulger in the yard, a place known for its gang violence. The guards failed to protect Bulger, putting him in the general population instead of a more secure choice. Bulger, an elderly man at 89, died by being beaten by using a lock in a sock-type weapon, according to the lawsuit. A simple choice of putting Bulger in a secure location meant that he would still be alive.
Those In Authority Need Accountability And Loved Ones Need Justice
Police and other authorities need to be held accountable when they are negligent at keeping those in their care safe. At Colucci, Colucci & Marcus, P.C., our Boston wrongful death attorneys find that many officials and people with power are irresponsible in their actions, resulting in a tragic and avoidable death.
The family members of the victim in a wrongful death have to deal with such problems such as:
- Unforeseen legal and medical bills
- Loss of stability in the home
- Unable to keep up with mortgage and rent payments
- Loss of salary from the victim
- Emotional and physical trauma
Call Us For A Free Consultation On Your Case
If somebody you love has been the victim of a wrongful death caused by the careless and negligent actions of someone in the Boston area, please contact us immediately. We pledge to conduct a full and thorough investigation into your claim so we can secure the compensation you need. This can include:
- Estate administration expenses in regards to the wrongful death
- The estimated value of the comfort and service your loved one would have provided had they lived
- The medical and hospital bills accrued before death
- Funeral and burial expenses
- The loss of guidance, inheritance, moral upbringing, advice, love, guidance, and support
- Estate administration expense in regards to the wrongful death
- Punitive damages